Britton’s Bullpen Baseball Tournament Rules for 2020
Britton’s Bullpen presents 1-1st place trophy to the winner of the championship game. Second place trophies will not be awarded.
• A BBI Representative will be at each ball park to facilitate team check-in
• The entire tournament schedule will be viewable through TeamSnap Tournaments App. Please note, “TeamSnap Tournaments App” is different from the “TeamSnap App”. Please have your parents follow the TeamSnap Tournament App to get updates and other important tournament info sent.
• Other notes and updates are posted on our website, www.brittonsbullpen.com and/or Britton’s Bullpen Inc. facebook
Britton’s Bullpen Must Have a Copy of the Following Items Before Play Starts
1 All rosters must be logged into the TeamSnap Tournament App
2 Secondary Team Insurance Certificate
3 Birth Certificates for each player if challenged by opposing team
• No gate fees or additional charges are collected by BBI
• Some facilities may charge gate/parking fees – BBI does not charge gate fees
Tournament Withdrawal Policy
• Britton’s Bullpen will provide a full refund for any team withdrawing from tournaments up to 5 days prior to scheduled start of the event
• Tournament Withdrawals Inside of 5 Days From Start Date Forfeit All Tournament Fees
• BBI Does, If Needed Mix Ages/Divisions To Form BracketsRainout Policy
• 0 games played= full refund minus $50 of tournament fees
• 1 game played= 50% refund
• 2 Games Played = full tournament – all tournaments. No additional refunds.
• All refunds (Withdrawal and Rainout) 1-2 weeks to process
• In the event of rain and cancellations, trophies and plaques are not awarded unless a championship game is complete
The Following BBI Rules Apply, All Other Rules Follow Major League Baseball
• In pool play, a coin flip will determine the home team – teams that forfeit pool play games, regardless of reason, do not advance to bracket play
• The coin flip will be conducted by the umpiring crew at ground rules
• During the bracket play, the higher seeded team will be the home team in all games
• Time limits are: 2:00:00 for all ages 10U and above, 1:30:00 for 9U and 1:15:00 for 8U
• Inclement weather could force BBI to modify these established tournament game times
• Three baseballs per game provided – each team should provide one slightly used ball at ground rules – all teams should chase foul balls or provide replacement baseballs
• Both teams should keep score books and should report the game score to the home plate umpire between innings. Umpires will maintain official game card for all games.
• Home team will maintain official game book and start time. Game start time will be announced immediately after ground rules and confirmed with Home team scorebook.
Coaches Have The Following Lineup Batting Options
1 Bat the Roster and be allowed free defensive substitutions
2 Play 9 Bat 9 or Play 9 Bat 10 with Free Defensive Rotations with these 9/10 Players
3 Play nine and use the Dh for only the pitcher.
See Major League Baseball rules
• Starters in Option 2 may re-enter one time in their ORIGINAL batting position. Substitutes removed from a game are ineligible to return. Teams should report all substitutions to the home plate umpire and opposing score keeper.
• If at anytime a player does not make his turn at bat due to injury, sickness and no sub is available, that turn at bat is recorded as an out. The opposing coach may waive this rule if approached prior to that at bat
• Teams May Play A Game With 7 Players – The 8th and 9th Batters In The Order Would Be Recorded As An Out With Each Flip Of The Lineup
• Courtesy runner at anytime for pitcher and catcher must be a sub if batting 9 or 10 or last batted out if batting roster
Game Procedures – Pool and Championship Play
• Pool games will end in ties after allotted time has expired – pool play games that are tied after regulation, will continue if time remaining on clock
• If elimination games are tied after time expires, BBI Tie-Breaker Rules Are Played – Each team will start with the previous innings last batted on 2nd base with one out
• The following Pool Play Tie Breakers will be used for seeding in the championship rounds
1 Head to Head Play. (If Only Two Teams With Same Record)2 Total Runs Allowed (Used When More Than
2 Teams Have Same Record)
3 (There Is No Head To Head At This Point)
4 Total Runs Scored5 Coin Flip
9U Pitch Rules
• Dropped 3rd Strike Rule Does Not Apply
• No Stealing Or Advancing To Home On Past Ball By Catcher
• 3rd Base Runner Can Advance To Home If Play Is Made At Any Base
• 5 Runs / Inning – Unlimited In 6th Inning
8U Coach Pitch
• Max 5 Runs/Inning – 10 runs in the 6th inning.
• 6 Pitches max to each batter unless umpire deems 6th pitch as not hittable
• 3 Strikes and Out
• No stealing and no lead offs until ball is hit by batter into play – The runner can leave the base once the ball is hit by the batter
• Runners can advance on live ball until one infielder has control of baseball inside of dirt infield area within the playing field. Runners awarded closest base on umpires judgment.
• Pitchers must start to the side of coach pitching and prior to the pitch
• 8U Coach Pitch 9 Fielders (3 Outfielders)
• No Dropped 3rd Strike / No Infield Fly Rule / No Bunting Allowed
• Bases 60 ft – Mound 40 ft / 6 Inning Game / 1 Hour 15 Minute Time Limit
• Coach must maintain 1foot inside pitchers circle (8 ft around rubber) and must leave field of play once ball is hit by batter
• Innings Will Still Be Played If Time Allows Even If One Team Can Not Match Runs Allowed
• Run Rule – 20 After 4 Innings / 15 After 5 InningsBalks and Intentional Walks
• In 9U and 10U, our umpires will help with Balks, and give up to 2 warnings per pitcher before a balk is called.
• In 11U-13U the umpires have the option to give each player one warning before a balk call is issued. 14U-18U balks will be called without warning. Balks will be called according to Major League Rules.
• Intentional Walk’s Will Follow MLB Rules and PoliciesSchedule Game Time Starts
All Teams Should Be Prepared To Start Games 30 Minutes Prior To Scheduled Start Time As This Allows BBI To Keep Pace With The Over All Scheduled TournamentMercy Game Run Rules
• 20 After 1 Inning
• 15 After 2 Innings
• 12 After 3 Innings
• 10 After 4 Innings
• 8 After 5 Innings
Complete Game Rain Rules, All Games Complete After
• 6 Inning Games – 2 ½ Innings If Home Team In Lead
• 7 Inning Games – 3 ½ Innings If Home Team In Lead
• In the event of rain/lightning forces a game to be called, incomplete games will resume where they left off if moved to the next day.
• No new inning may start after the time limit has elapsed. A new inning automatically begins after the 3rd out is recorded in the bottom half of the previous inning.
• The official game time starts after ground rules are completed – Umpires will confirm official game start time with home book scorekeeper
• Championship games have a 2 Hour time if last game of day – run rules are still in effect.
BBI Tournament Directors will not be involved in counting pitches or innings pitched during BBI Tournaments and Events.The responsibility of managing pitch counts and innings rests with each team’s Head Coach.
BBI endorses the Pitch Smart program, developed by USA Baseball and Major League Baseball. This program is a series of practical, age appropriate guidelines to help parents, players and coaches avoid overuse.
“Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the coach, parent and the athlete to ensure that the player follows the guidelines for his age group over the course of a year”
• Metal cleats are allowed in the 13U-18U divisions – No metal cleats on portable mounds.
• Each team should prepare a written line-up, listing first and last names and numbers of all players/subs prior to each game. Line-ups must be given to the plate umpire at ground rules. Line-up cards will be provided to each team at check-in.
• BBI does not enforce a Mandatory Slide Rule at any base. If a player does not slide to avoid contact and if it is determined by an umpire that the play is ruled malicious with the intent to hurt, the player will be ruled out and ejected for the game in progress
• 13U & Under must be stamped 1.15 BPF, USA Stamped, BBCOR or WOOD
• 14U Must Use -5 1.15 Stamped Bats or USA Stamped – BBCOR Bats Are Allowed
• 15U and Above Must Use BBCOR or Wood Bats with -3 Drop Ratio
• 14U Teams Must Use BBCOR -3 when choosing to play up at 14U/15U Mixed Brackets
Game and Roster Protest
• Protests shall follow major league procedures on the field and stop play to file a protest
• No protest of a judgment call or game outcome, and only an incorrect rule interpretation can be protested that impacts the natural course of the game.
• Umpire must sign both scorebooks and site the game situation. The manager then has 5 minutes to present his protest, citing the specific baseball or BBI rule to justify his protest to the Tournament Director along with submission of a $200 forfeit fee – cash. If the manager does not file his protest within the 5 Minute time frame, the protest will be considered as dropped and no action will be taken by BBI or the BBI Site Director.
• If the protest is won, the Protest Fee is returned.
• If the protest is lost, the fee will be forfeited.
• Game clock does not stop during protest situations
• Each Team Should Maintain A Copy of their BBI Roster in addition to turning one in at tournament check-in – each weekend. Teams must first present a copy of their signed team roster and player brith certificates prior to protesting a game opponent’s roster.• Non roster players are considered ineligible. Any team using an ineligible player will be assessed a 7-0 forfeit for game in question when roster is protested
PROOF OF AGE BBI Does Not Collect Birth Certificates Prior To Tournament Events
• It is the Managers responsibility to have his players birth certificates or accepted proof of age identification in the case of any question regarding the age of his players – failure to produce birth certificates will result in a forfeit if roster is protested by opposing team
• At times and at certain parks, BBI will adjust base distances to adapt to park setups and field constraints
- Players can be added and dropped from teams until 1st pool game of tournament weekend
- A player can not reside on two different rosters
- A player can not play on two different teams in the same tournament regardless of age unless approved by BBI tourney directors
- Teams found using ineligible players will immediately forfeit the game being protested. score will result in 7-0 loss
Rules of Conduct – Disruptive Behavior
• Britton’s Bullpen strives to provide a great baseball and family atmosphere for its tournament participants and guests. No unsportsmanlike conduct by participants or fans will be tolerated, and penalty for such behavior will be removal from the grounds for the remainder of the tournament.
• Coaches are responsible for themselves, their players, and families at all times. Any suspension/ejection imposed by umpires or BBI officials will be served during the game in progress and the next tournament game and/or tournament weekend. Applies for Coaches and Parents. Players are eligible for next game.
• Please remove all items, including trash, from your dugout promptly at the completion of your game. Tournament schedules are always tight, so we ask that you clear the dugout first before talking with your team after the game.
• Food and beverages cannot to be brought into any ballparks. Water coolers may be brought for your team’s consumption during your game, but we ask that all other items be left at home. Coolers must be placed in team dugout.
• Failure to comply with park Food and Beverage rules may lead to games being forfeited.
• No pets of any kind are allowed in any ballpark leased by BBI regardless of park rules. Please help us insure the safety of our participants and the cleanliness of our facility by leaving your pets at home.
Effective 6/16/17 The Below Demarini 2017 CF Zen BatsWill Be Considered Illegal In BBI Tournaments
Teams Will Receive Just A Warning On First Infraction, On The Next Infraction and Thereafter, The Batter Will Be Called Out. Players Will Not Be Ejected From GameCoaches Will Be Ejected From That Game On 2nd Infraction